Lelané Bezuidenhout, CFP®, started her career in the financial services industry in 1999 at one of the large life insurers. During August 2010, she joined the office of the Ombud for Financial Services Providers (FAIS Ombud) as case manager investigating complaints and preparing matters for determination in close consultation with the dynamic and professional members of the adjudication team.
In February 2014, she joined the Financial Planning Institute of Southern Africa (FPI) and is currently heading up the certification department. Her main duties include but are not limited to:
- Setting and running of the Professional Competency Examination (known as the Board Exams) for all approved FPI designations;
- Approval of CPD providers and continuous improvement of related CPD processes;
- Setting of and maintaining Certification Standards and
- Continuously improving the FPI Mentorship Programme to suit the needs of the ever-changing financial services industry.
- Stakeholder engagement with the South African Qualifications Authority (SAQA), Insurance Sector Education and Training Authority (INSETA), Quality Council for Trades and Occupations (QCTO), Department of Higher Education and Training (DHET), Financial Services Board (FSB) etc.
- Representing FPI on various industry working groups.
She finds her career at FPI both challenging and rewarding as all of the above is done to benefit the public at large and to professionalise the industry that we operate in.